The Scariest Time of Year

Yes, we are approaching that scariest time of the year, Family Thanksgiving!

I think anyone who has read my blogs can guess I come from the kind of family that made the D in dysfunctional into a capital letter. I think you can also guess that I am the one throwing the monkey wrench into the mix just to see what happens.

Every year for decades my cousin has hosted the Thanksgiving Dinner at her home. Every year, at her house with each relative bringing their properly assigned dish, in the proper portions, in the approved serving dish. (Relish dish provided by Aunt J. in the Longaberger approved basket, with liner)

There was actually a list kept from year to year with number of potatoes to be peeled. Worst of all was the laminated map of where each dish was to be displayed for service.
I had lived AWAY for many years, so when I returned there was a dilemma which required a family meeting to determine what I should be assigned. 
The first year I was assigned rolls. Heiners pre-browned. I looked at the price, drove to the bread outlet and bought cheap little Sunshine rolls. Nothing was said but the next year my assignment changed. I was instructed to bring Jolly Green Giant microwavable buttered corn. I did, but it was white corn. Well, no one specified.

I want to point out that I wasn't trying to be rebellious, just frugal and not a label reader OK. (You believe that, right?)

The next year, in desperation I was assigned Cocola. For you non-West Virginians that means pop, soda, Coke, Pepsi, etc. I was to bring a 2 liter of Coke, Diet Coke and 7 Up. I kind of like Nehi, so well, there was some grape and orange cocola there.

The next year I was instructed to bring NOTHING. please.

This brings me to what I really want to talk about. Gratitude.

God wants us to express our gratitude to him, even though he knows our heart. He tells us this over and over.

Psalm 92:1, 4 It is good to praise the Lord and make music to Your name Oh, Most High.  (4)For you make me glad by your deeds, Lord; I sing for joy at what your hands have done.

We are given some specific instruction in  1Thessalonians 5:18 , which is one of Paul's earliest known letters.  "Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

While we are thankful to God, the bible instructs us to be thankful to others, particularly other Christians. In Paul and Timothy's letter to Philippi, they write very near the beginning:

"I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel...."

I pray for you all my friends, and many of the friends of my friends. During this terrifying season, let us express gratitude for each other. and to our Maker.

DISCLAIMER: For family members who attend this dinner, remember writers need to exaggerate in order to make the stories interesting
For people who don't attend this dinner: I am not kidding! True Facts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Old Black Magic

Are Skeletons Real?

Joysuckers