Ghost Hunters

One Halloween when I was about 7 my grandfather, Scooter was left in charge. My grandmother, Mommy, had to work late at Evans grocery store and she would bring home the candy to give out with her when one of her daughters picked her up and gave her a ride.

I was costumed, oddly enough I don't even remember what my costume was that year. I remember the anxiety of having no one to take me out, and dancing foot to foot impatiently. I would ask every few seconds, which seemed like hours to me, if it was time yet. The magic hour back then was 6 pm. The first two trick or treaters arrived and my grandfather had to treat them out of his very personal and private candy stock. It was hidden in the end table drawer on his side of the couch, I knew to never touch it.

Inside my anxiety was at a peak, positive NO ONE was going to take me out to score candy. I doubt if I complained much out loud. Scooter didn't play. If I had complained too much he would have just banned me from going at all. 

Finally, hours and hours later- OK, -it was a few minutes but it SEEMED like hours Mommy got home with the candy, adjusted my costume and someone or other took me out for a night of high adventure amongst all the ghouls, goblins, ghosts and princesses.

Now I want to focus on a real Ghost. Not the kind from those silly TV shows either. I mentioned in an earlier blog that I was reading C.H. Spurgeon on the Holy Spirit. I am taking a lot of information from that book.

So what exactly does the Holy Spirit do? Too much to cover in just one simple blog, but I will give it a start.

He is the portion of the Trinity that helps us to bear our pain, whether mental or physical. He assists us in prayer, what to pray for, how to pray. He instructs us and guides us, intercedes for us, gives us strength and advocates for us. He is a very busy Entity.

Have you ever felt directed by a strong feeling that you needed to pray for something definite? Not just at prayer time, but a feeling deep in your heart that lasts all day? This is the guidance of the Holy Spirit giving us inward direction. 

He also creates in us the intense desire to pray. He can turn our lukewarm lethargy to a passion for God's glory.

He strengthens our faith by sustaining and comforting us through trials. In prayer, when we can't think what to say, he incites, suggests and inspires and gives encouraging thoughts to us. If the Holy Spirit resides in you and you ask him to help you pray, he will write the prayers on the tablet of your heart. He is also like a father in that his strength can make us strong.

Have you ever been so distressed that you could not say actual words in your prayer, but fell to your knees groaning. There is real prayer in our groaning, it is the intercession of the Holy Spirit, more precious than pearls. The sighing of a true heart is infinitely more acceptable to God than a beautifully printed poem of a prayer.

Make sure as you Journey you keep a spot free to take the Holy Spirit with you. He is the traveling companion you don't want to leave home without.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Old Black Magic

Are Skeletons Real?

Joysuckers