Do you Promise?

What if I asked you to put your hand under my thigh? Or in my personal area? Would you thing I had lost my mind?

In ancient biblical times this was an action taken to swear an oath. Abraham requires it of his servant as he goes to seek Isaac a wife, and Jacob requires it of Joseph concerning returning his bones to their homeland.

How do we swear an oath today? Perhaps in a courtroom or at an inauguration with a hand on the Bible?

Have you ever made an unkept promise? When my children were small they would often ask me to promise them something, and mostly I refused. I explained that whatever it was it was my intention to do if I possibly could but that I would never make them a promise I could not keep. The word PROMISE was taken very seriously at our house.

I have too often heard children wailing to parents, "but you promised!" They learned that they could not trust their parents word. In the marriage ceremony we make a promise before God. Many times (including by me) this promise has been broken through divorce.

God has made promises to me. Because he is true to his word I know I can believe his promises. On the reverse side I have made promises to Him and have failed many times. Thankfully He does not find me untrustworthy. He knows that humans are continually struggling to do what is right. 

The only way to progress is to learn to listen to the Holy Spirits guidance. The way to improve listening skills is through daily study and prayer. I promise.

Comments

  1. I agree that, whether it’s prayer or meditation or simply spending time alone in nature, there is much to be learned if we listen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this. Is there a way I can subscribe to your blog?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are Skeletons Real?

That Old Black Magic

10% down and 10% a month