How to Solve a Mystery

When I was a child everything was a mystery, We had a Roman Numeral clock on the console  of our black and white television.  It fascinated me, but I could not understand the symbols on it. 

When my mother felt it was time for me to learn to "tell time" she used this clock and I am now time impaired for all eternity. I was not intellectually ready for anything more than the old paper plate clocks we made in first grade.

Adult conversation was usually a mystery so I learned to tune it out. A second cousin came to visit us for a long time and then she left. In later years my mother mentions something about when this cousin had come to have her baby and give it up for adoption.  WHAT? All that time she lived with us and I never knew she was going to have a baby! I thought she was FAT. Back then words like "pregnancy" and "adoption" were whispered and I was too young to understand.

If someone from centuries ago were transported to modern times, could this person even begin to understand how light comes through the flick of a switch? Clearly it would be outside understanding with their current knowledge.

I have found some things in the Bible I don't understand, or things that aren't answered. This is because my mind is finite, I have limited understanding.One thing I have is faith. This allows me to worship, and to appreciate the mysteries I cannot yet comprehend.

The Bible has a lot to say about wisdom but a verse I like is Colossians 2:2-3.
"My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."

We can grow and understand through worship and prayer, but some things we are no more ready to understand than I was the Roman Numerals on a clock. I have hope though.

First Corinthians 13:12. 
"For now we see through a glass, darkly, but then face to face; Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

It is good to know that someday we will understand the things we don't have the capacity for now, perhaps I will even be able to tell time in Roman Numerals.

I am praying for our country - which really needs it. I am praying for children whose innocence has been taken. I am praying for you my friends, and I hope you pray for me.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Old Black Magic

Are Skeletons Real?

Joysuckers