Who is That Old Woman in My Mirror?


Quite a few years ago, I was asked to show my ID at a register. When I pulled it out I became confused. How in the world did my mothers's drivers license get in my billfold? She was right behind me in line. Did she have mine?

Shockingly, it WAS my ID. When had I got so old?

I had a nose ring/stud for many years. My boyfriend, who was older than me, in his sixties, did not like it very much. We were at a buffet restaurant and as he paid the young girl at the counter she said,
"Wow, I have never seen an old person with a nose ring."  He had a good laugh. I did not.

It is now a decade (at least) later. I look in the mirror and feel shock. That person has some chin hairs, a saggy neck, age spots, (I prefer the term freckles), thinning hair. It can't be me. And where is my strength, my agility, and what is with these aches and pains that get called things like Arthritis of the spine? The temperature is never right, it is always too hot or too cold.

I look at my check book as I contemplate, maybe a face lift or a tummy tuck. Nope, not even enough for a gym membership. I feel kind of downhearted. Are the gifts of old age, only wrinkles and a weak bladder?

So what does the Bible have to say about this?

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. 2 Corinthians 4:16

OK that's a start

Wisdom is with the aged, and understanding in length of days. Job 12:12

Wait, I want to be PRETTY, not smart.

I was searching around on posts for information on aging as a Christian (hoping I would find something that would say, "Sure take your life savings and get a facelift").  I found a Baylor University article about how our society views the elderly. Not in a positive light, but the conclusion was heartening.  It basically said that Christ calls us to serve others and knows no time limits.

Gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained in a righteous life. Proverbs 16:31

Not as long as there is a bottle of Clairol left on the planet! So I will probably keep dodging mirrors, exercising to stay as fit as I can, and keep serving God all of my days.

I pray for you, my friends as I hope you will pray for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are Skeletons Real?

That Old Black Magic

A mentally ill Christian - is it possible? A Happy New Year thought. Christian Life