Steve Martin and the Special Purpose

So, All my life I have been looking for that Special Purpose. I am not referring to the one in the movie The Jerk with Steve Martin.
I have been looking for that talent or gift that gives to others and glorifies God. I have been searching most of my life.
In grade school I wrote stories and poems, sure that I would be a writer. As I got older that changed to journalist. As I got older still, I realized, all the stories have been told. I didn't have anything unique or interesting to say that would cause a person to purchase my writing and sit enthralled for hours.

I have hundreds of hours of college credits. I never declared a major. I have an almost biology degree, an almost psychology degree, an almost sociology degree, an almost advertising/marketing degree. I almost thought I had a calling...

I have ideas, but God seems to slam the doors shut. There have been quite a few over the years. SLAM. Sometimes maybe I quit trying because of the Joysuckers.

Maybe I wanted to do things for my own glory and not the Lords. Maybe that is why the door slammed.
Jeremiah says that God created everything to fulfill a special purpose. So where is MINE! I demand of God on the occasion when I forget my place and try to get lippy with Him.

So, maybe I got an answer from the scriptures. 2 Timothy 2:20. I am going to paraphrase and take great liberties here. Your house has a set of fine china or special dishes for holidays. But then there are your dishes that are used everyday. For ordinary occasions.

WHAT? I am ORDINARY! No, that can't be right.

Lets go a little further. If anyone cleanses himself he will be a vessel for honor, useful to the Master, and prepared for every good work.

Think about Romans 9:21. It is about a Potter and His clay. Does He not have the right to choose what vessel He will fashion?

So God only wanted me to be a drab useful everyday dish?

Yes! Yes, He did! I am not pulled out for spectacular events, but to serve quietly every day in anyway that I can. I can glorify him daily, without the risk of prideful self glory. He chose me! He chose me to show Him to others everyday. I might be that cracked old brown dish in the cupboard, but I am the one that is on the table for every meal. What an honor, to be Chosen.

I am not Ordinary, my best friend is a King, the King of Kings. He wouldn't be hanging out with me if He didn't think I was special. I still don't know my exact purpose, but it doesn't matter. God does and as long as I obey him it will be accomplished.

I pray for all my friends daily as I hope you will be praying for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are Skeletons Real?

That Old Black Magic

A mentally ill Christian - is it possible? A Happy New Year thought. Christian Life