Evicting God

I read repeatedly and  hear Christians saying that we need God in our schools. I believe what they are really saying is that they wish their particular brand of religion to be taught in the classroom.

I was shocked several years ago to learn that my son was being indoctrinated in Islam at his Charter school by a Muslim teacher. I learned this at dinner one night when he started telling me what a great religion it is! 

There you go! Religion in school. I do not think religion belongs in school. Teaching religion is a parent's right, responsibility and decision. If religious teaching is allowed in school, then whose religion should be taught? If I were Jewish I would choose Judaism, other parents might choose Islam, Wicken, Pagan, Jehovah Witness, or Church of the F.S.M. (Flying Spaghetti Monster). I am a protestant but do not feel the school should educate my child in any religion. Home and Sunday School are the proper venues for this.

The Bible instructs parents repeatedly about child rearing.

Ephesians 6:4  Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in training and instruction of the Lord.

Proverbs 22:6  Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they shall not turn from it.

Deuteronomy 6:6-7 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts, Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

I cannot think of a single verse that commands a government organization to train children in religion.

There will still be those of you who insist they want God in school. Are you so foolish to think that a mere school board could prevent our Lords entry? If any adult or child there calls upon him, He will be with them. He is more powerful than any rule they make.

I saw an article on Facebook, so it must be true. I  I did some research and sadly it was mostly true. Here is an portion of the actual article:

Known also as “Peace Cross.” The Snyder-Farmer Post of the American Legion of Hyattsville erected the forty foot cross of cement and marble to recall the forty-nine men of Prince George’s County who died in World War I. The cross was dedicated on July 13, 1925, by the American Legion. A bronze tablet at the base of the monument contains the unforgettable words of Woodrow Wilson: “The right is more precious than the peace; we shall fight for the things we have always carried nearest our hearts; to such a task we dedicate ourselves.” At the base of the monument are the words, “Valor, Endurance, Courage, Devotion.” At its heart, the cross bears a great gold star.

In 2014, the American Humanist Association — a group that believes in “being good without a god” — filed a lawsuit alleging the cross-shaped memorial is unconstitutional and demanding it be demolished, altered, or removed … On [17 October 2017], the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals agreed and ruled the historic memorial must be torn down — all because the Bladensburg Memorial is in the shape of a cross.

I felt quite furious and unChristian when I read this.  I often have an unholy urge to flog people- like animal and child abusers.  I do not like that anti-Christian groups are winning more and more in courts. I feel my religion has the same right to exist as their non-religion. I can co-exist. If someone wanted to put up a plaque on a government building with a saying from the Talmud or the Quaran I could accept that.

As Christians we can and should keep fighting for our rights. We may lose many times. No one ever said that this road would be smooth. It resembles the roads in the great state of WV, full of potholes, falling rock and erosion.

Matthew 10:22 You will be hated by everyone because of Me but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.

1 Peter 3:13-5  Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. Do not fear their threats, do not be frightened But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord

Humans may lose battles in court rooms but God will be victorious. If every cross and every plaque referring to the Bible are removed from every public building in the nation it will not prevent God from entering. He is more powerful than all the Supreme Court Judges. Our job is to remain faithful, to never give up the battle no matter how bad the battlefield is looking.

1 Peter 5:10 and the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.

My prayer list grows and grows - there are so many who need it.  I pray daily for my children and for the wonderful husband God has blessed me with. I want to add my ex-husbands family to our prayer list, in the loss of husband, father, grandfather, uncle, and brother-in-law Wayne Kessel.
He was a good man, a strong Christian, a loving husband, father and grandpa.  His family will miss him terribly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are Skeletons Real?

That Old Black Magic

A mentally ill Christian - is it possible? A Happy New Year thought. Christian Life