Potty Training


<script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>
<script>
     (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({
          google_ad_client: "ca-pub-2360701609150243",
          enable_page_level_ads: true
     });
</script>



I have struggled with something you will find shocking. 
                           POTTY MOUTH

It began in Junior High and I have no idea what started it. My poor mother never, ever, ever uttered such words.  Believe me, if raising me did not cause her to curse, I know nothing else would.

Our front door was warped and at certain times of the year it required some extra pushing to get the swollen wood to close. One day I loudly commanded it to shut as I shoved on it. I was misunderstood and no matter how much I protested my previous record caused me to have to serve out my sentence of being grounded for the week. Fortunately it was not tennis season, or I might have broke out and had additional punishment added to my sentence.

Over the years, and especially during my military enlistment my issues of diarrhea of the mouth escalated. I knew better. I had long ago learned the verses
Proverbs 4:24
Keep your mouth free of perversity: keep corrupt talk far from your lips.

And Ephesians 5:4
Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or course joking which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.

For seven years I did stand up comedy in the mid-west, traveling to different clubs. Sometimes I opened for bands or did Ladies Night Out performances. I did refrain from bad language however most of the talk was of a sexually suggestive nature. 

Here is the problem with all of this. When you profess to be a Christian people watch you and listen to you. When you act in an inappropriate way they think " She is supposed to be a Christian, but look at her. I act better than she does. " Not only are your grieving the Holy Spirit, you have caused a stumbling block for someone else, perhaps keeping them from knowing Christ.

1 Corinthians 8:9
Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights  does not become a stumbling block to the weak.

Colossians 3:8
But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander and filthy language from your lips.

I still struggle. The other day I was exhausted. My husband insists on putting food in the fridge in cups, uncovered. When I went to get something out, I knocked over a cup of food which went everywhere, and when I went to get a rag,, I stepped in the dog water bowl and flooded the kitchen floor.  My words were not kind and useful to others, to say the least.

Ephesians 4:29
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of our mouths but only what is helpful in building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

William, who is a member of my church family has encouraged me. He keeps track of each day he has had a clean mouth and he knows exactly how many days even though it is up into many months. 

I am trying my best to improve my mouth. Not just the language but the sharpness and tone of my words, and also knowing when to keep silent and use no words at all. Very difficult for me!

I am taking this verse to heart:
Colossians 4:4-6
Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act with outsiders: make the most of every opportunity.  LET YOUR CONVERSATIONS ALWAYS BE FULL OF GRACE, SEASONED WITH SALT, SO THAT YOU MAY KNOW HOW TO ANSWER EVERYONE.

Pray for me as I battle my own personal battle against sin. I am praying for many of you, as your names are given to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Old Black Magic

Are Skeletons Real?

A mentally ill Christian - is it possible? A Happy New Year thought. Christian Life