Fullness of Joy


<script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>
<script>
     (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({
          google_ad_client: "ca-pub-2360701609150243",
          enable_page_level_ads: true
     });
</script>


My brother Steve and I were talking the other day about how much we miss Mom. We had the same mother, and we didn't. She used to say we were both only children. I was born when my mother was 18 years old. My brother was born when she was 31. We were not raised by the same woman because of the time lapse. 
I had a young playful mother, he had a mature responsible mother. He had more material things, I had hand drawn paper dolls. 

I told him that I really wouldn't mind dying because I would see her and my grandmothers again. He gave me what I call the "Athiest Eye Roll." I told him that without the Hope of Heaven I could see no point to our lives here. He said the point of this life is to be happy. I asked him if he was happy and he admitted he is not.

I was reading an article on Crossroads.com about how many people seek happiness by buying certain products. They also said that Happiness is not the point of a Christian life. They were saying as Christians we can expect trials and tribulations.  That is true.

But what does that have to do with happiness? I feel we cannot be truly happy without God in our life.  I have problems, you have problems. That doesn't mean you can't start your day with happiness in your heart and on your face.

I have an all time favorite Bible verse. John 15:10-11.
"If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete."

I actually prefer the English Standard version
"...that your joy may be full."

Fullness of joy. Since the 4th grade, I have loved that phrase.

The Bible has a lot to say about happiness and joy. I won't over power you with a list of verses but I think this one, frequently used as a benediction is a wonderful one to leave you with.

Romans 15:13
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Amen.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are Skeletons Real?

That Old Black Magic

A mentally ill Christian - is it possible? A Happy New Year thought. Christian Life