Expectations

When I was twelve, I couldn't wait to be thirteen. I had read the Trixie Beldon books and I was sure that I would turn thirteen and become a horseback riding detective.  That didn't happen. My neighborhood didn't seem to have a lot of crime. No jewel heists or smugglers and no horseback riding either.

When I was fifteen I couldn't wait to turn sixteen. Nancy Drew solved mysteries and drove a blue roadster. I turned sixteen and got a cake. That was the first time I ran away from home, broke curfew and got driven home by the police who found me sitting on a park swing.  I was about three years into depression at this point but back then it was called, "Get yourself together cause you are in big trouble Missy"

Many times life has not lived up to expectations. When I was young I had a lot of expectations about the future.  I was going to college and major in something spectacular. Then I would marry a missionary live in exotic locations and save souls.

What happened was due to depression mostly (and perhaps some laziness) I skipped school most of my senior year. My mother said she didn't understand how to fill out the financial aid forms and dropped them on my lap, I didn't really have access to a school counselor - I wasn't bad enough or good enough to have attention called to me - so I had no money for college. I didn't marry a missionary and I have never been anywhere more exotic than Hawaii on vacation.

I worked full time, took a bus to school after work and since there were no buses running across the river after my last class I had to find rides, hitch-hike or what ever I could. I paid cash and took as many classes as I could afford and squeeze in.

When I was 20, I finally gave up. I was so discouraged I went on my lunch hour and enlisted in the Air Force. While I was in Basic Training I got a letter from the school. I had made the Dean's list and had a scholarship.

So who didn't meet my expectations? My mother? My school counselors?, Myself? God? What is the point of even having expectations? Might as well just give up.

If you don't hope and dream where is your passion for life? Proverbs 13:12
"Hope deferred makes the heart sick but a desire fulfilled is a tree of life,"

I was reading an article by Mark Ballinger about keeping your heart alive. God tells us "Guard your heart, for it is the well spring of life."  Proverbs 4:23 
So if we guard our hearts do we just build a wall and not allow ourselves hopes and dreams? No, but our dreams have to be in Him.

Some people in the Bible did not get their hopes and dreams realized. David wanted to build a temple for God. God thought the desire was good, but decided that David would not be the builder. David was not heart sick because his desire was to please God.

Jesus asked to not go to the cross. He prayed about it and ultimately said that it was Gods will, not his. His prayer was not answered the way he hoped.

Not all our desires will be met but we don't need to be heart sick. If our one desire is to please God our finite human expectations may not be met, but will ultimately be exceeded.

Praying for the refugees trying to enter Mexico as they search for a better life.

PS: I graduated from college at age 55, I married a motorcycle club chaplain at the age of 54, and I have traveled as far north as the exotic state of Maine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Old Black Magic

Are Skeletons Real?

A mentally ill Christian - is it possible? A Happy New Year thought. Christian Life