Dem Bones Dem Bones

Dem Bones is a spiritual song that was recorded in the late 1920's. Although it shows up at Halloween the lyrics are actually straight from the Book of Ezekial. The Prophet visits the Valley of Dry Bones and prophesies that the dead shall rise again.

As a child I loved autumn. It was so full of exciting things. First we went back to school and got new crayons and paper and clean fresh workbooks. Then Halloween, the decision of what costume I would pick out of the bag. We had a large garbage bag of handmade costumes made over the years by my grandmother and aunt. 

The next event was my BIRTHDAY!  Now, I don't look forward to that as much these days but back then the excitement building up to it would nearly cause me to burst. I preferred banana pudding instead of cake (still do) and please if you attempt to surprise me do not put yucky meringue on the top.

Then there was Thanksgiving. A day filled with visits from all the cousins. If it was nice we would play outside and if not as nice then board games in the house.

Then the countdown really started. The biggie. Christmas. The family making crafts. Remember the adults making candles out of wax and milk cartons? Or the dough ornaments made using cookie cutters?  I still have a little drum my mother made from part of a toilet paper roll, felt, sequins and toothpicks for the drumsticks.

This morning something amazing happened. I was waiting to meet my boss and co-worker for our twice a month breakfast meeting at Shoney's on the Boulevard. I was early thanks to over caffeination.

As I waited at our usual table drinking even more coffee I noticed 5 men across the way talking about Jesus. Those of you who know me realize I only have about two shy bones in my body. Somehow, talking about Jesus especially to strangers causes Dem Bones to pop right out.

Never the less, I walked up to these gentlemen and said,
"Pardon me, I couldn't help but hear you talking about Jesus." The man who was leading the talk responded somewhat warily as if perhaps he thought I was going to complain.

I told them about my blog and asked if I could give them each a card for it. I also (whatever possesses me at times?) told them I have a very sick son and asked if they would pray for him.

They all stood up, we joined hands and they prayed for Robert right there, around a Shoney's table. Every time I think of it I get teary. It is like all the autumn holidays rolled together. What an awesome God we serve!

I will still have trouble talking about my Best Friends (that special Trio) to strangers but I am working on living a life that is more of an example of what to be than the one I led that was an example of what not to be.

As for Dem Bones, perhaps they will be given more courage to be a witness.

Comments

  1. Ah, the smell of crayons and new paper! Sending positive thoughts your way & said a prayer for Robert.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

That Old Black Magic

Are Skeletons Real?

A mentally ill Christian - is it possible? A Happy New Year thought. Christian Life