Wise as an Owl?

According to Western folklore the owl is considered to be a wise, silent and solitary bird of prey, wiser even than the eagle.

My husband is Ojibwe Indian and he tells me that in his language  "gookook'oo" is the word for an owl.  The Owl is both feared as it is used by practitioners of "bad medicine" and honored when worn by a wiseman as a symbol of one with healing powers.

The Cherokee watched the screech owls closely while tracking enemies because they were said to foretell victory or defeat in battle.

A.A.Milne, if you recall, is the author of Winnie the Pooh and here is what he had to say about owls.
"Owl is the grand and rather clever old man of the forest. He can also spell Tuesday."

In the book of Proverbs Wisdom is always referred to with a female pronoun and she is frequently coupled with the word Understanding.  I can see that!

There are special words for those who reject wisdom.
The Hebrew one of petayim is one who is naive, possible young. The word kesilim refers to one who is foolish or mindless, but it is also translated as a malicious possessing spirit. Lastly lesim, the mockers, scornful ones. These three words are alike in one way. They pay no attention to wisdom and suffer the consequences.

Solomon wrote in Proverbs 3:13-14
"Blessed are those who find Wisdom, those who gain understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold."

He was giving advice to his son and he also said this in Proverbs 2:1-5
"My son if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your hear to understanding____ indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God."

We find these three words used repeatedly: Knowledge, Wisdom, Understanding. They are not used interchangeably, they are definitely identified as separate things.

So what is the difference in these words?

Knowledge consists of information, facts.  We all have lots of knowledge. Maybe it is related to your career such as a chef or a machinist. It might come from what you have learned from a hobby or an interest. Knowledge is power. Just the facts Ma'am.

Wisdom is the use of good judgment based on your knowledge It is the choice to use the power of knowledge.

Understanding is knowledge and wisdom put into action, the execution of your choices.

I read the label on a package of cookies. I see that they have a lot of carbs and realize they would be a bad food choice. I understand this and purchase some celery instead.
Knowledge, Wisdom, Understanding.

Now, in real life, I would purchase both of them, the celery would rot in the refrigerator, and I would eat all the cookies.  Real life application is a little tougher than theory.

I like this verse in Ecclesiastes 8:1
"Who is like the wise? Who knows the explanation of things? A person's wisdom brightens their face and changes its hard appearance."

I also like this happy one from Colossians 3:16
"Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts."

I am working to improve my Biblical knowledge. Wisdom is a lifelong, and for me slow, work in progress.  I will end this with verse from James 1:5
"If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you."

Praying for all of you my friends, for those with loved ones in the military, those struggling with mental health issues, those with financial issues, those who are lonely. Nick, Steve, Betty, also my great pastors Billy and Leanna who inspire me with their messages. I ask that you pray for me, and that I be given wisdom. Thank you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are Skeletons Real?

That Old Black Magic

Joysuckers