Facebook Fighting by the Foo Fighters, Christian Life Blog


CHRISTIAN LIVING IN TODAYS WORLD


Disagreeing with Christian Friends in Social Media


And everybody was Kung Foo Fighting...Sometimes the amount of controversy elicited on Facebook reminds me of that Foo Fighters song.

It all started with re posting a joke, innocent enough you might thing. It was offering one of our leaders to Iran to replace one of theirs that we had executed.

I was called on the carpet by several people, saying calling for the murder of someone is unchristian. Hold up - murder? I thought the joke was offering her services, let her ruin their country instead of ours. Maybe I am just dense.

One person was particularly upset with me and those who agreed with me. She became personally insulting. Had I expressed something heinous? I have been mulling it over, frankly it is keeping me awake at night. Of course I initially felt angry, as we all do when criticized but the reasonable thinking man will analyze the criticism for validity.

I prayed, awaiting some expression from the Holy Spirit, but I did not feel any response. Now, my anger was wrong.  I have no problem with someone having views that are different than mine, but getting so...personal about it. I have a former friend who called me a stupid idiot and ignorant person over political views.

My friend in this situation sent me a private message later, apologizing for the way she addressed it, but not for her views. I am fine with that. Then she sent an additional message which I have not opened. Why? I am a coward. I hate conflict. I value this woman, she is a good and wonderful person. We just occupy opposite sides of the political coin.

When I was young anger was my best emotion. I could use it to cover up all the other ones like sadness, hurt, depression, need...and all the rest of the negative feelings by erupting into a fiery temper. As I age I find I run from most conflict, I would hide in a closet when my husband lost his temper.  I am not sure this is progress or even regression. It is just another ill chosen path.

I know I will have to open her message and respond but before I do, I need to spend time in prayer. Did my post cause a stumbling block to another? Did I step off the path by causing someone to say,
"Oh, she is a Christian but she thinks murder is OK." (Honestly, that isn't the way I viewed it but apparently others did.)

It led me to think of other ways I might step off the path and mislead someone. Does someone see me at Bingo and think, "Oh, I thought Christians didn't gamble."  Have they seen me enter many bars and clubs (where I drink sweet tea) and say, "She professes to be a Christian but she seems to be quite a drinker."

The path is so narrow, it is thinner than a balance beam. Every step can cause you to wobble, to lose your footing, to stray and even fall off. I have some self examination to do. I want to leave you with this from St. Peter that confirms ones calling and election.



2 Peter 1:5-8

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith, goodness; and to goodness, knowledge, and to knowledge, self control; and to self control, perseverance, and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection love.

Friends, I love you and I do not want worldly things to come between our souls. Have patience with me as I grow.

Comments

  1. I seldom post or comment on anything political (on social media) for this reason. Too much room for misunderstandings & everyone is already on edge when it comes to politics. Some people tell me I’m a chicken for opting out. But to me, if I’m going to take this time to write about something political, I’ll do it in a different forum like a letter to the editor or call to a congressional office. I’m not saying that’s what others should do—just saying that’s how I’ve decided to handle it. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

That Old Black Magic

Are Skeletons Real?

A mentally ill Christian - is it possible? A Happy New Year thought. Christian Life